January 7, 2019
Life Application: Is the light of Jesus shining in me right now? If not, what is causing me to miss the experience of the light of Christ? Am I willing to let the light of Christ shine through all of my life?
Action Point: Commit to living out three elements in 2019 that will help you shine and experience the light of Christ:
1) Pray daily at 5:17 AM/PM for more connections with new people.
2) Orient your life around worship.
3) Commit to taking your next step with Jesus, whatever that may be.
*Light a candle this week in a place where you want the light of Christ to shine through you and post on the First Church’s Community Group on Facebook.
December 24, 2018
Life Application: How can I open my heart to the real gift and presence of the Christ child in a way that will melt my heart? How can I embrace the light of Jesus in the midst of whatever darkness I may be going through? How can I share this gift with others? What joy does it bring my heart to know that the light of Christ is greater than any darkness? Who can I invite to join me at this year’s Christmas Eve services and experience the light of Jesus?
December 17, 2018
Life Application: In the model of the magi, am I intentionally seeking out Jesus to worship Him rather than just observe Him? What journey is Jesus calling me on? Am I willing to go? What would need to change in my heart to experience the full joy of Christ? How is God moving unexpectedly in my life right now? Am I living my life by the wisdom of the world or the wisdom of the Christ child? How can I share God’s love with others to help them experience God in unexpected ways?
December 10, 2018
Life Application: Pray this prayer every day this week:
Lord Jesus, make us expectant and eager to do your will even when it disrupts our world, just like Joseph. Lord, prepare us to have our lives changed and our world rocked by your advent among us, just like Joseph. Lord, give us the grace to silently, obediently live as you would have us live in whatever strange and inexplicable circumstances we find ourselves, just like Joseph. And Lord, make us ready to receive you to be born in our lives and ready to pick up and move to wherever you might lead, just like Joseph. Amen.
December 3, 2018
Life Application: Today is the first day of Advent, a season during which we seek to prepare our hearts for the coming of Jesus.
- Beginning today until Christmas, pray that you will experience Jesus in unexpected ways.
- Do one intentional act to share the life and love of Jesus to a new generation.
- What does it mean to you for Jesus to usher in ultimate rest this advent?
November 26, 2018
Life Application: What are the greatest doubts in my life right now? What are my greatest doubts when it comes to God? Am I willing to name them? Which story has the greatest hold on my life and influences my decisions the most? How can God use my doubts to strengthen my faith? In the midst of my doubts, what will allow me to feel the touch of Jesus or hear the voice of Jesus in my life right now? How much of a role do life groups, scripture, and prayer play in my life right now?
November 19, 2018
Life Application: How can the reality of hell deepen my love for God?
- Upon what am I tempted to build my identity? What step can I take to more firmly build my identity upon Christ?
- Do I need to trust that God will make all things right and give up seeking vengeance for a wrong that was done to me or someone I love?
“He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.” Colossians 1:17
November 12, 2018
Life Application: 12 Ways Ordinary People Can Love Orphans
3) Celebrate Orphan Sunday Annually
4) Become a volunteer Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) for children
6) Become a volunteer Safe Family
7) Offer practical aid to foster/adoptive families
8) If you have a specialized skill, considering offering it to adoptive/foster families
9) Raise Financial Support
10) Conduct culturally sensitive mission trips with clear objectives
11) Establish an ongoing church ministry as one church or partnering with others
12) Facilitate a church culture open to loving/supporting orphans and families
November 4, 2018
Life Application: What parts of the Bible are the hardest for me to accept? What parts speak the most to me? How engaged am I in God’s Word? Do I read it daily? Weekly? Monthly? Never? How can I take my next step to be more in God’s Word? Consider exploring the YouVersion Bible App. Am I willing to trust the Bible in such a way that my heart begins to “burn within me?” What would it take for this to happen?